- > Columns
- TODAY'S NEWS AND HOOTS
- Feature - Penn Jillette
- Feature - Siam Reap to Bangkok by Taxi
- Feature - Black Cat and White Dog Search for the Meaning of Life
- Feature - Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Road to the Mountaintop
- Feature - Reasonable Doubt
- Feature - Sandy Does Swindlehurst
- Feature - The Giving Lens Gets Focused
- Notes From A Polite New Yorker
- Tommy Digital's Pussy Cocktails
- The Octopus Files
- Wasims Rants
- The Guys You'll Meet on Earth, But Not in Heaven
- Slippery Id
- The Shameful Truth
- Writing for the Sake of It
- Void Creation
- Frankly Speaking
- Pulling At The Fringes
- These Altered States - America Trying to Become Itself
- Gupta Goes Greek
- > 2008
- > 2001 - 2007
- > January 2009
- June 2009
- Kotori Audio Pix - August 09
- Feature - DREDG : The KOTORI Video Interview
- > July / August 2009
- Feature - Fahrenheit 911: Is it all Just an Illusion?
- > October 2009 - 2010
- Feature - Citizens United and The Chamber of Congress
- Feature - Dreamend: The Kotori Interview
- > January 2011
- August 2008
- > September 2008
- CDz BOOKz and DVDz - September 08
- Black President (VIDEO)
- June 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- May 2008
- January 2008
- February 2008
- July 2008
- Feature - Richard Taylor To The Max
- RNC COVERAGE...SORTA
- Feature - Marty Beckerman's Amazing Testicles
- Feature - Brendan Canning
- > October 2008
- > November 2008
- Feature - Consent of the Governed
- Feature - The White Voters Burden
- Feature - McCains America
- Feature - Sen Dog
- CDz BOOKz and DVDz - October 08
- Art of Nancy Baker
- What's Bots & What's Rot
- Feature - Best Superhero Adaptations
- Feature - Tobacco Speaks
- Feature - Cinema 16 Returns For A Sequel
- Feature - Positive Vibration
- Feature - House of Cards
- Feature - All Together Now
- Feature - Roasting the Pigs of War
- Feature - Ex Post Facto
- Feature - Detroit is Burning
- Feature - Kottonmouth Kings
- Feature - The Paintings of Steve Smith
- Feature - The Beat Goes On
- Feature - 666 Reasons Sentient Citizens are Still Celebrating the Long Overdue Departure of George W. Bush
- Feature - The Real Kevin Coughlin
- Feature - Memorial Day for the U.S. of A.
- Feature - The Times They Are A-Changin'
- Feature - The Art of Victoria Horken
- Eating Like a Tibetan
- Feature - A Chat with Captain Puscifer
- Feature - 2010 Adult Entertainment Expo
The Guys You'll Meet on Earth But Not in Heaven: Ponzi Perry
As we turn the pages of the Rick Perry story the yanks and pranks start to deteriorate into even scarier behaviors.
Back in the day when books were our major source of knowledge a much quoted warning kept us vigilant regarding bad books and other bad things on the planet.
"Never judge a book by its cover."
With that in mind, generations have discovered that the difference between cover and content can be the difference between charm and deceit, between poise and ignorance and between strength and weakness. In Governor Rick Perry's case, we have 61 years of cover production that obscures the troublesome pages within.
And so, while the rather slick cover shines and conjures up images of Clark Kent, the chapters below bring to mind John Belushi's Bluto from Animal House!
1. The Cover
A good-looking boy grows up and often overachieves in the small town of Paint Creek, Texas. He becomes a Boy Scout and rises to the rank of Eagle Scout. At the age of 8 he meets the girl next door whom he marries 16 years later. While in high school he makes the 6 man football team and on Friday nights the Paint Creek crowd cheers his touchdown runs. He later attends Texas A&M University and graduates, majoring in animal science. He then joins the military and becomes a pilot. He eventually gets into politics and becomes governor of Texas when George W. Bush resigns in 2000. And now, he's decided he'd like to become our president.
---Impressive, huh? But, wait.-------Let's open the book.
2. The Contents
Even as a kid, Rick Perry was often described as the boy who yanked the most pigtails of the girls at school. Apparently, the yanks later became major pranks as he was named as the Texas A&M student who placed M-80 firecrackers in the student toilets to give them a scare. At Texas A&M, instead of running for touchdowns he was voted senior class social secretary and elected as one of the Yell Leaders, which is equivalent to being a male cheerleader. During his college years he likely did more cheerleading than studying, as his transcript shows a very mediocre 2.5 grade point index highlighted by an F in organic chemistry and D's in Trigonometry, Shakespeare and the Principles of Economics.
Yes, Rick Perry's college career sounds more like "Delta House" stuff than preparation for the national stage.
However, when he did study it appears he may have had a reading list of one particular book------the Bible. Raised as a Methodist, he adopted conservative Christian beliefs which are based upon his belief in the "Inerrancy of the Bible." This means that if you don't accept Jesus as your savior---well, Rick Perry thinks you're going to Hell. And, since he didn't do very well in his science courses he now pushes creationism and dismisses evolution as "a theory with gaps." He criticizes climate science and global warming as a "contrived phony mess" made up by scientists to make money.
It appears that Mr. Perry has gotten most of his ideas from that one book while interpreting it in a most conservative manner. He is anti-abortion and passed legislation making women watch an ultrasound of the fetus before an abortion could be performed. He is anti-gay and has advocated that homosexuals should "choose abstinence." And----- it goes on. While much of Texas burned this past year, Rick Perry's solution was to call for –A Day of Prayer for Rain.
Obviously, with his grade point index he didn't get a lot of A's. However, he did get an A plus from the National Rifle Association, and he has a concealed gun permit which he uses to carry a laser sighted pistol while he jogs. He used the pistol to kill a coyote during one of his runs.
But wait------as we turn the pages of the Rick Perry story the yanks and pranks start to deteriorate into even scarier behaviors.
-----------234 Texans have been executed since he became governor, with no interventions on his part.
-----------Despite the fact that 8.2% of Texans are unemployed, he turned down a $555 million federal stimulus for unemployment insurance.
----------Of the Texans who have jobs, more are paid at minimum wage or below than in the rest of the country.
---------Although 26% of Texans do not have health insurance (compared to 17% nationally), Perry states that medicare and social security are unconstitutional Ponzi Schemes that we need to get rid of.
And, what are his solutions for our many problems? He has proclaimed that "I want to make the federal government inconsequential in our lives." And yet, he has never held a job outside of government! So, yes-----the houses he's bought, the trips he's taken and the health insurance he has used were all paid for by us. Apart from governmental gifts, the LA Times reported that Perry has received 37 million dollars from 150 donors who were sometimes reimbursed with tax breaks, government contracts or government appointments.
The last chapters of this sad story tell us that ------Rick Perry Just Doesn't Get It!!! On one day he talks about Texas seceding from the nation, and the next day he wants to be president of that nation. During a recent debate he was accused of taking $5,000 from a drug company to force Texas girls to get HPV vaccinations. His response was------
"If you're saying that I can be bought for $5,000, I am offended!"
Meaning what exactly?
Give him a million and he won't be offended?
Rick Perry doesn't like Ponzi Schemes because they are based on fraud.
But, Rick Perry on closer inspection feels a little bit like a better looking Bernie Madoff--------no?