- Feature - Hell Just Got Louder
- Feature - Siem Reap to Bangkok by Taxi
- Feature - Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Road to the Mountaintop
- Feature - Campervanning Across New Zealand
- Feature - Sandy Does Swindlehurst
- Feature - Penn Jillette
- Feature - Black Cat and White Dog Search for the Meaning of Life
- > Columns
- TODAY'S NEWS AND HOOTS
- Notes From A Polite New Yorker
- The Guys You'll Meet on Earth, But Not in Heaven
- The Shameful Truth
- Pulling At The Fringes
- These Altered States - America Trying to Become Itself
- Tommy Digital's Pussy Cocktails
- Frankly Speaking
- Campus Croons From the Middle of Nowhere
- Writing for the Sake of It
- The Octopus Files
- Void Creation
- Wasims Rants
- Slippery Id
- > 2008
- > 2001 - 2007
- > January 2009
- June 2009
- Kotori Audio Pix - August 09
- Feature - DREDG : The KOTORI Video Interview
- > July / August 2009
- Feature - Fahrenheit 911: Is it all Just an Illusion?
- > October 2009 - 2010
- Feature - Citizens United and The Chamber of Congress
- Feature - Dreamend: The Kotori Interview
- > January 2011
- August 2008
- > September 2008
- CDz BOOKz and DVDz - September 08
- Black President (VIDEO)
- June 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- May 2008
- January 2008
- February 2008
- July 2008
- Feature - Richard Taylor To The Max
- RNC COVERAGE...SORTA
- Feature - Marty Beckerman's Amazing Testicles
- Feature - Brendan Canning
- > October 2008
- > November 2008
- Feature - Consent of the Governed
- Feature - The White Voters Burden
- Feature - McCains America
- Feature - Sen Dog
- CDz BOOKz and DVDz - October 08
- Art of Nancy Baker
- What's Bots & What's Rot
- Feature - Best Superhero Adaptations
- Feature - Tobacco Speaks
- Feature - Cinema 16 Returns For A Sequel
- Feature - Positive Vibration
- Feature - House of Cards
- Feature - All Together Now
- Feature - Roasting the Pigs of War
- Feature - Ex Post Facto
- Feature - Detroit is Burning
- Feature - Kottonmouth Kings
- Feature - The Paintings of Steve Smith
- Feature - The Beat Goes On
- Feature - 666 Reasons Sentient Citizens are Still Celebrating the Long Overdue Departure of George W. Bush
- Feature - The Real Kevin Coughlin
- Feature - Memorial Day for the U.S. of A.
- Feature - The Times They Are A-Changin'
- Feature - The Art of Victoria Horken
- Eating Like a Tibetan
- Feature - A Chat with Captain Puscifer
- Feature - 2010 Adult Entertainment Expo
Pulling At The Fringes: The Strange Case of L.A. Hipsters
Affect is that of just waking up from a drug-induced coma, being the victim of a blow to the head by a very large object falling from great distance above, or borderline autism.
Growing up in Southern California, I'll admit that I used to get crushes on arty girls like those that are in abundance in Silverlake and Echo Park - those girls with their slender, tomboyish figures and mismatched clothing from overpriced secondhand stores. However, after some interaction with this subgroup, which I used to refer to as "indie kids" before the term hipster arrived, I realized that they are not like the arty girls I met in college at all. In fact, I find it physically painful to sit in a coffeeshop and listen to these sorts of people as they continually spout out cliche hipster nonsense that they seem to think is intellectual thought, but really isn't anywhere close to it.
It's as if the entire generation that these late-20s, early-30-somethings come from is completely emotionally detached, intellectually stunted, and politically and socially disengaged, yet they somehow remain completely self-absorbed. I mean, self-absorption was once solely the domain of the intellectual and artistic elite – Einstein and Picasso, for instance – but has now filtered down to those who don't even have a reason to be self-absorbed. Hell, with the seeming nonexistence of rational thought, pragmatism, emotional maturity, or any sense of the world outside, I'm not even convinced there is a self to be absorbed in.
After walking down the street on any given afternoon, a reasonably intelligent guy, one who is currently single and available, for instance, might ask himself - why do girls go out with these hipster douche bag males that have become as ubiquitous to the suburban LA landscape as 7-11s? And this is a serious question, one that has caused several friends and I to ponder far too long now.
In case you're confused about the male hipster model, I'm talking about these cretin-looking fellows with pants that are either too short, too tight, too colorful - or a combination of the three - for any normal adult to possibly feel comfortable in. The haircuts look like a parody of bad '80s movies, but with the addition of sketchy facial hair. Shoes may resemble house slippers. Social skills limited to incoherent mumbling, which could be mistaken for ironic detachment. Affect is that of just waking up from a drug-induced coma, being the victim of a blow to the head by a very large object falling from great distance above, or borderline autism. The warm weather even brings us the glorious sight of guys wearing what once were called ladies' capri shorts.
Now, there are several potential explanations here:
1. It's a clear-cut 'fuck you' to any and all intelligent, expressive males within the greater metropolitan area. It's done with impudence by females who obviously have been burned by some guy in their past and are now trying to get even by flinging a huge middle finger up at the entire remaining dating pool.
2. Dealing with an intelligent, expressive male scares you so shiftless that you'd rather confine your relations to those with the mentality of small children. It is far less threatening. True interaction and real intimacy seems so far out of your grasp that you can't even be bothered to try. It's too close to the realm of adult living that you perceive as being very far from your own dysfunctional existence. Essentially, beyond your obvious outward beauty, there is nothing. And the thought of someone discovering your true hollow self frightens you so much that you seek to cover your eyes with such ridiculously over-sized sunglasses that all the attention is drawn completely away from any characteristics of your personality or lack thereof.
3. You have no idea what I'm talking about. You think those over-sized sunglasses actually complement your face. Detachment really is ironic and cool. Skinny jeans look awesome on portly, bearded dudes.
4. Conforming to strict in-group guidelines soothes your anxiety. Anything that reeks of authenticity or earnestness is to be avoided. See #2.
After seeing places in this world where people live in tin shacks with no electricity or running water and literally eat the sun-baked gravel for survival of the barest degree, I find the lifestyle and values of these hipsters to be reprehensible. And the fact that there are so many publications and facets of the media – like the LA Weekly, for instance – that seem to not only cater to this subgroup, but lionize and proselytize about the shitty music and faux-art that they produce, must be a sure sign of the impending downfall of the U.S., if not the Western world as a whole.
We here have been given everything; there is no excuse for ignorance and apathy. None. Take your shitty music with no balls, your mumblecore films and sub-Warhol pop art bullshit and go back to Oregon, Washington or Minnesota. And tell your hipster douche bag boyfriends to buy a razor, a comb, and some pants that didn't come off the girls' rack - you fucktards. I hope those ironically over-sized sunglasses at least offer decent UV protection, you'll need it when the last spark of a dying culture flashes on your iPhone background. Thanks for pissing an entire generation away.