- > Columns
- TODAY'S NEWS AND HOOTS
- Feature - Lloyd Kaufman: The Kotori Interview
- Feature - Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Road to the Mountaintop
- Feature - Losing LeBron
- Feature - The Crazy Legend of Slowhand Jack
- Feature - The Giving Lens Gets Focused
- Notes From A Polite New Yorker
- Tommy Digital's Pussy Cocktails
- The Octopus Files
- Wasims Rants
- The Guys You'll Meet on Earth, But Not in Heaven
- Slippery Id
- The Shameful Truth
- Writing for the Sake of It
- Void Creation
- Frankly Speaking
- Pulling At The Fringes
- These Altered States - America Trying to Become Itself
- The Worthless
Live Talks Los Angeles Business Forums Presents Clean Tech Nation
How the U.S. Can Lead in the New Global Economy
LOS ANGELES, CA – Live Talks Los Angeles Business Forums presents Clean Tech Nation: How the U.S. Can Lead in the New Global Economy with Ron Pernick on Thursday, November 15, 2012 at Gensler in Downtown Los Angeles. Pernick is the founder and managing director of clean-tech research and advisory firm Clean Edge and the co-author of two books on clean-tech business and innovation, the recently released Clean Tech Nation and The Clean Tech Revolution. His talk is part of Live Talks Los Angeles’ dynamic breakfast-hour series featuring leading business thought leaders and executives. Tickets are $20, which includes breakfast, or $40 with Pernick’s book. The talk runs from 8:15am to 9:15am, with breakfast at 7:45am, and is held at the new regional headquarters of Gensler, the global architectural firm (500 S. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071; http://www.gensler.com). Please visit the Live Talks Business Forums website for additional details and tickets at www.livetalksbusiness.com.
Pernick will talk about clean technology and innovation. His new book, Clean Tech Nation, articulates the factors reshaping the clean-tech landscape while also providing compelling solutions to enable profound progress, all while placing these debates in the context of 21st century economic competitiveness. http://business.livetalksla.org/2012/09/08/november-15-ron-pernick-founder-managing-director-clean-edge
Clean Tech Nation -
On its current path, the U.S. risks losing out on the most critical opportunity for job creation and global economic leadership in the 21st century. In the global economy today:
• China is spending hundreds of billions on clean tech and is now the world leader in solar-panel and wind-turbine manufacturing
• Germany plans to shutter all its nuclear power plants within a decade and build a new energy economy focused on renewables and efficiency
• Japan, South Korea, the UK, India, and many others are also enthusiastically pursuing these burgeoning opportunities.
As political partisanship rages during the U.S. election season, from the Solyndra bankruptcy to the potential expiration of the federal tax credit for wind power against the backdrop of continued fossil fuel subsidies, Pernick places these debates in the larger context of 21st century economic competitiveness. If the U.S. is to remain dominant, as it has in the earlier high-tech and Internet revolutions, it needs to supercharge clean-tech efforts at every level – in federal, state and city governments, as well as in schools, small businesses and large companies.
In Clean Tech Nation, Pernick highlights:
• The rapid expansion of clean tech, with global markets for solar and wind power alone increasing from $7.6 billion to $163.1 billion between 2001 and 2011
• The six “C’s” that are key to understanding the clean-tech market: Costs, Capital, Competition, Consumers, Climate, and Connectivity
• The biggest clean-tech developments reshaping the world including smart grid, green building, hybrid and electric vehicle, and waste-to-resource breakthroughs
• The top 10 states and 15 cities in the U.S. for clean tech including California, Oregon, Massachusetts, New York, and Colorado and San Francisco, Boston, Denver, Seattle and Houston
• 100 companies to watch, from innovative startups to corporate behemoths that are leading the global charge.
Pernick’s book, Clean Tech Nation, is co-authored by Clint Wilder, senior editor at clean-tech research firm Clean Edge and the co-author, also with Pernick, of The Clean Tech Revolution. He has covered the high-tech and clean-tech industries since 1985.
Ron Pernick –
Ron Pernick is the founder and managing director of clean-tech research and advisory firm Clean Edge and the co-author of two books on clean-tech business and innovation, Clean Tech Nation (HarperCollins, 2012) and The Clean Tech Revolution (HarperCollins, 2007). At Clean Edge, he has co-authored more than two dozen reports on clean technologies, markets and policies, and oversees the firm’s research, event production, index publishing, and advisory services. He has taught MBA-level courses at Portland State University and New College, is widely quoted in the media, and is a regular speaker at industry events in the U.S. and abroad. He lives in Portland, Oregon with his wife and two children.
Live Talks Los Angeles –
Live Talks Los Angeles, produced by Ted Habte-Gabr, brings great speakers to Los Angeles. Authors, artists, humorists, musicians, scientists, and business thought leaders are presented in various Los Angeles venues. The series has seen powerhouses Robert Reich, Ken Follet, Michael Caine, Hal Holbrook, Dave Barry, Jane Lynch, Steve Martin, Garry Marshall, Penny Marshall, Tina Fey, John Lithgow, John Irving, Amy Poehler, Jason Alexander, Anne Rice, Molly Ringwald, and many others. The Live Talks Los Angeles art and culture events are typically held in theater and gallery spaces in the evening. The Live Talks LA Business Forums are held in a business setting in Downtown Los Angeles and are intended to provide an opportunity for the local business community to connect, network and hear the insights and experiences of vital industry thought-leaders and executives. Proceeds from ticket sales support both series as well as various literacy, arts and educational causes in Los Angeles. Media sponsors include 89.3 KPCC Southern California Public Radio and KCET.
Upcoming Live Talks LA Business Forum speakers include: bestselling author of Drive and A Whole New Mind Daniel Pink (1/17/13), Whole Foods CEO John Mackey (1/25/13), former CEO of GM and AT&T Ed Whitacre (3/7/13), and Former CEO of Procter & Gamble A.G. Lafley (3/21/13). The forums focus on entrepreneurship, leadership, social responsibility, business trends, marketing, innovation and the economy.